I hope this update finds you and your families healthy and staying safe as we continue to push through this COVID-19 fog we are all in together!
First, here is a link to Monday night’s monthly Board of Supervisors’ meeting agenda: http://buckinghamcountyva.org/Board%20Agendas/2020/04132020.pdf. There is a lot on the agenda, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
YOU WILL SEE that the meeting is closed to the public attending in person. Thisis because of health concerns with the pandemic and keeping you and our staff and the board safe and secure.
HOWEVER, there are numerous ways you can participate in the meeting from the comfort of your cell phone, laptop, or other device. Namely, you can view the meeting from start to finish here on the County’s YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/IL6Kz_kzpEM.
Upcoming Public Hearings and How to Participate Them
Though the Board of Supervisors suspended public comment during our upcoming board meetings due to COVID-19, we are taking comment for Public Hearings. There are three Public Hearings on Monday:
- Public hearing on the proposed Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Budget
- Public hearing on the proposed tax rates and levies
- Public hearing regarding a grant application for IT equipment for the new library.
The public hearing set for the VDOT Six-Year Improvement Plan has been postponed due to state standards dealing with COVID-19.
HOW To Participate in Public Hearings
In response to the COVID-19 epidemic, Public Hearing for Buckingham County Board of Supervisors Hearings will be received using the following methods:
- All correspondence must be received only by the methods below, and are due by 12:00 PM the day of the meeting.
- Written comments may be mailed to the Board of Supervisors at PO Box 252 Buckingham, VA 23921. Please limit word count to 500 words.
- Emailed comments may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please limit word count to 500 words.
- Telephone voicemail comments may be left to be played to the board by calling 434-969-5039
- To appear virtually to the Board of Supervisors for comments please email
email@example.com. You will receive notice with the link and/or telephone number necessary to connect virtually during the meeting.
Please note: Please state your name, district, address, and which hearing you are commenting on. The three (3) minute rule will apply to public comments.
- All correspondence must be received only by the methods above, and are due by 12:00 PM the day of the meeting.
More about what’s on our agenda
Following the public hearings, we do have some substantial ground to cover, including the following:
*Request for a Public Hearing for a Proposed Lease/Purchase of the Gold Hill School for a Prospective Business and a Proposed Incentive Package.
*Consider Scheduling a Public Hearing for the Emergency Ordinance to Allow for the Continuity of Government Operations During the Pandemic.
*Request for Reconsideration for School Carry Over of $140,000.00 from the 2018-19
Transportation Fund to the 2019-20 budget for the purpose of purchasing two special education vans.
*Consider Request for Reconsideration for School Carry Over of $117,020.00 from 2018-19 Cafeteria Fund to the 2019-20 Cafeteria Funds.
*Consider how the Board wishes to proceed with considering the additional School Board Carry Over Request.
*Consider Official Concurrence of Contracting for an Additional DRT 24/7 Crew at the Glenmore Squad Building.
*Consider Dillwyn Fire Departments Request Regarding Putting Electricity to the Property used by the Fire Department for the Tractor Pull
More Details About COVID-19
As of 12 noon on April 9, Buckingham still has eleven (11) confirmed cases of COVID-19. We do not have any other information on these cases other than they have been confirmed positive for COVID-19.
You can find more information on the ongoing pandemic by visiting http://www.buckinghamcountyva.org/COVID19.HTML.
I implore you to practice social distancing, stay at home unless essential travel is essential, wash your hands and don’t touch your face.