We’ve got a busy agenda for our Monday, June 8, 2020 Board of Supervisors meeting coming up, and I hope you’ll chose to be a part of your local government by watching, participating, or offering comment during public comment or the three public hearings we have docked.
Here is a link to the full agenda and packet. Please let me know if you have any questions about any items: http://buckinghamcountyva.org/Board%20Packets/2020/june%208%202020%20bd%20pck.pdf. Here’s a link to watch online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfIL3rVTUEqgxBwXCQoBDTA.
Reinstated Public Comment and Begins Monday
In response to the COVID-19 epidemic, Public Comments and Public Hearing Comments for Buckingham County Board of Supervisors meetings will be received using the following methods:
- Written comments may be mailed to the Board of Supervisors at PO Box 252 Buckingham, VA 23921. Please limit word count to 500 words.
- Emailed comments may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please limit word count to 500 words.
- Telephone voicemail comments may be left to be played to the board by calling 434-969-5039
- To appear virtually to the Board of Supervisors for comments please email email@example.com. You will receive notice with the link and/or telephone number necessary to connect virtually during the meeting.
Please note: Please state your name, district, address, and which hearing you are commenting on. The three (3) minute rule will apply to public comments. All correspondence must be received only by the methods above, and are due by 12:00 PM the day of the meeting.
Public Hearings and Zoning Cases
We have three public hearings, two of which regard zoning matters, and one regarding an increase to the Courthouse Security Fee we are taking up:
- The first hearing regards increasing the Courthouse Security Fee from $10 to $20 per criminal or traffic case. This comes at the recommendation from the sheriff.
- The second hearing regards a request from Elijah Cain to operate a commercial garage and repair shop at the intersection of Tower Hill Road and Route 60. He is proposing a 1,500 square-foot steel building as a commercial garage there.
- The third hearing regards adding a zoning text amendment for the purpose of operating non-retail office space (a home health staffing agency) and the application of a special use permit for that purpose. Applicant Jamise Vowels is proposing a home health staffing agency on Randolph Creek Road.
Introduction of Zoning Cases
We have two zoning matters for introduction on the agenda: one proposing a one-room school house on Belle Branch Road and another regarding a 10-acre 1.6 megawatt solar energy facility on Belle Branch Road.
We will also discuss setting a joint meeting with the Planning Commission on Monday, July 20 at 7 p.m. to discuss the Comprehensive Plan.
Bringing More Recycling to Buckingham
The Board is working hard to bring more recycling options to the residents of the county. The Recycling Committee has met twice in the last few weeks to consider options at the Dillwyn Solid Waste and Recycling Center on Route 15 (as this site is the next and final to be renovated under the gated, secure system).
The committee is considering design options, incorporating recycling areas as well. The committee is researching opportunities and cost estimates to provide the following: two compactors for recyclables, recycling containers, a used 53-foot trailer to haul recyclables out, a 63-horsepower skid steer to handle the recyclables, carports to house balers and materials, prices related to tolls for this endeavor, and permission to tour other recycling facilities to consider possibilities. There are other considerations the committee is looking into, such as using a roll off truck to save money with recycling, purchasing roll off containers, etc.
Recycling has been a topic of discussion among many constituents in the Maysville District, so please know I and the board are taking this seriously.
Painting of Water Tanks
Here is information on the water tanks being repainted and how this may affect you: http://buckinghamcountyva.org/Docs/County%20Admin/WaterTank.pdf.
PLEASE always feel more than welcome to call, email, text or visit me (using social distancing for the time being). If you have any comments, ideas, criticisms, compliments, or anything to say regarding my representing you on the Buckingham Board of Supervisors, please get in touch with me. You can call/text me at 434-390-7023, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come see me at 13170 W. James Anderson Highway in the court house village. I would be pleased and happy to hear from you anytime.